winches

Vane or Radio if it's for A's put it here.

Moderator: Senior Admin

tannebri
First Name: Brian
Last name: Tanner

winches

Post by tannebri » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi All

New to all this radio stuff in Yachts. I have two boats similar to A class but not A class both from 1992 that I'm restoring to use and just got a few questions. They both have Whirlwind Olympics fitted. What would be a modern equivalent? Is it better to have two batteries one for RX and rudder the other for the winch motor?

Have included a picture of said Yachts 84 Inch overall to give some idea of scale
IMG_0177.jpg
Many Thanks Brian

Mike Ewart

Re: winches

Post by Mike Ewart » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Lovely looking yachts, winches available are RMG and PJ Sails does a large winch as well, other than that you are probably looking at twin winches, would recommend winches with a BEC the RMG has one already, the BEC circuit will allow you to use one battery which powers the winch directly and feeds the receiver, nowadays two separate batteries are unnecessary
Mike Ewart

tannebri
First Name: Brian
Last name: Tanner

Post by tannebri » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks Mike will look at them.

And yes I liked the lines that what got my interest up John Lewis design from 1992 I'm told.

Brian

Derek Priestley

Post by Derek Priestley » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:10 am

They are indeed John Lewis designs & were a from a group of 10 "one design" boats privately funded for the MYSA Kensington. They were all built by Ken Jones of Birkenhead. ( Graham Elliott's Grandad) & as Brad G has said earlier they were used for a race between yachting journalists, held on the round pond as an exercise to promote our sport to a wider audience.

Good luck with your restoration.