Sonomara

Vane or Radio if it's for A's put it here.

Moderator: Senior Admin

Mike Ewart

Sonomara

Post by Mike Ewart » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi guys and gals I have just aquired a Sonomara designed by C W Sykes anyone know anything about this boat/design I also have a Spirit of Ectasy Roll Royce mascot also made by C Sykes related?
Mike Ewart

Mike Ewart

Re: Sonomara

Post by Mike Ewart » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi Chris thanks for the info, I definitely have you on the certificate, and Martin Raishbrook, need to clean up the hull a little bit and put her back on the water, do you or anyone out there have a source for a twin stick radio, I have the original but would like to go to 2.4 mhz if possible
Mike Ewart

Bill Green
First Name: Bill
Last name: Green

Post by Bill Green » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Mike

CW (Bill) Sykes was in all senses of the word a master craftsman. His yachts won medal after medal at the Model Engineers Exhibition. He was a member at Bournville and he designed and built boats to all of the rules. His Marbleheads in the 70's and 80's just swept everything before them as did his A's, most were free sailing. In his later years he turned to radio with designs in the A Class which is where your new acquisition comes from. Bills boats were all beautifully built and he made everything, including the sails, they were also extremely competitive. His final free sailing A design, the VC2, even after 20 or more years is at the forefront of the current vane fleet and is very much the benchmark against which designs are judged.

When you are next at BV we can talk more about Bill

Bill Green

Mike Ewart

Post by Mike Ewart » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Bill thanks for that I bought the boat because it is very pretty, I really only intended buying the Ravenna, but the A was sitting there and looks lovely, havent sailed her yet but hope to get her on the water in the next week or 2 and might even look at the Veterans Nats for the A this yearm only problem is she who must be obeyed doesnt know about it yet!!
Mike Ewart

Val Provoost

Post by Val Provoost » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:47 am

Mike, my husband owned Sonomara years ago and I cant remember why he sold her,but he has always regretted it so if you want to sell her at any time, just let me know.........

Mike Ewart

Post by Mike Ewart » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:02 pm

I have now had her out on the water, she sails beautifully and I will bear you in mind if the wife says its her or the Sonomara, she is built so nicely I was seriously considering having clear deck patches as the inside is better than the outside of a lot of boats I have seen, am serious considering Veterans A Nats now
Mike Ewart